Saturday, June 30, 2012

Personal Bill of Rights

Hi there my beautiful readers! I hope you all are doing fine this summer and that someone tells you that you're beautiful everyday! Now, since 4th of July is coming up for us state-side folk, that means a lot of gatherings, BBQ's, parties, and other social events. A common occurrence with family is that some members can be judging, rude, distasteful, and or bigoted in their speech, manner, or person. If one of you, dear readers should happen to become part of an unfortunate situation like this with your family, remember that you DO HAVE RIGHTS. There are those rights that are given to us through the U.S. Constitution and the Bill of Rights, and also the Universal Declaration of Human Rights as penned by the UN. I've taken those two documents, and added my own interpretation based upon Enlightenment-era, Humanist, and Queer-inclusive theory principles. Below are listed unalienable human rights then EVERY human being should have and is entitled to, no matter what privileges or oppressions you may experience in your daily lives.

The Personal Bill of Rights

1). I have the right to ask for what I want.
2). I have the right to say no to requests or demands I can't meet.
3). I have the right to express all of my feelings, positive or negative. 
4). I have the right to change my mind. 
5). I have the right to make mistakes and not have to be perfect.
6). I have the right to follow my own values and standards.
7). I have the right to say no to anything when I feel I am not ready, it is unsafe, or it violates my values
8). I have the right to determine my own priorities. 
9). I have the right not to be responsible for others' behavior, actions, feelings, or problems.
10). I have the right to expect honesty from others.
11). I have the right to be angry at someone I love if they are being harmful to me. 
12). I have the right to be uniquely myself.
13). I have the right to feel scared and say "I'm afraid."
14). I have the right to say, "I don't know."
15). I have the right not to give excuses or reasons for my behavior.
16). I have the right to make decisions based on my feelings.
17). I have the right to my own needs for personal space and time.
18). I have the right to be playful and frivolous. 
19). I have the right to be healthier than those around me
20). I have the right to be in a non-abusive environment.
21). I have the right to make friends and be comfortable around people.
22). I have the right to change and grow.
23). I have the right to have my needs and wants respected by others.
24). I have the right to be treated with dignity and respect.
25). I have the right to be happy. 

These are additional rights you have, and when a confrontation happens, never be afraid to STATE YOUR RIGHTS. You are a human being too and you deserve to feel comfortable, respected, and unafraid in any environment you are in. 

Stay beautiful, fierce, and fabulous, my friends :)

With Love,
The ODST Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment